Article by Dawn Sooy
Does 25 have special meaning? For mathematicians, it is the sum of the first five odd numbers. If you are a baseball fan, 25 is typically reserved for the best slugger on the team. In England, it is two-bits which equal about 25 cents. If you have noticed, every instance of 25, whether written or in number format is in the color silver.
It’s the Greater Lehigh Valley Writer’s Group 25th silver anniversary, celebrating a quarter century of excellence in writing partnerships. As part of that excellence, GLVWG has hosted one of the regions best writing conferences for twenty-three of those years.
What amazing events do we have at the conference?
- Presentations to help budding writers and published authors create and strengthen their skills
- You aren’t alone. Attendees mingle with agents, other writer’s, other attendees all of whom share a similar passion
- Opened and challenged the minds of the attendees with a plethora of sessions, keynote speakers, and learning by listening to on-the-spot feedback
- Don’t be a starving artist. Scrumptious lunches and snacks as part of admission including our Saturday lunch with words of wisdom and encouragement from our Keynote speaker
- Our stories are more than just words on paper. Authors have a vast and glorious history that have shaped the world around us. We celebrate this by the past mingling with the future by appearances from our very own “Samuel Clemens.”
- Flash Literature contests featuring stories of fiction and non-fiction developed in 100 words of less; and lines of poetry written from the author’s heart and soul
- Book Fair authors who present a variety of topics sharing resources that cover guides to develop your writing skills, walk you through the steps to publish, and ways to focus the marketing effort. Books containing stories to send shivers down your spine, couples entranced in romance, poetry, and so many other genres expanding your imagination.
In 2018, The Write Stuff Writer’s Conference™ will continue its excellence in presentations, marketing interviews, critique sessions, and of course the included lunch. The only thing our conference needs to be exceptional is YOU! Be a part of a GLVWG historical tradition and make your plans now to attend. Registration begins December 1, 2017. A link will be provided in future postings as this time draws near.
So mark your calendars.
The Write Stuff Writer’s Conference ™
March 22, 23, 24, 2018
Stay current with updated information on the 2018 Conference by following this blog.
Meanwhile, have a look at pictures from March 2017’s GLVWG Write Stuff Writer’s Conference™.
Dawn Sooy is the Conference Chair for the 2018 The Write Stuff Writer’s Conference™. She hails from Eastern Pennsylvania and all four seasons the state offers. She received a degree in Computer Science and worked in the field until retiring in 2013.
Dawn lives with her husband, Bob, in a house that is much too big for them since their four children have grown and established lives elsewhere. She is the proud grandmother of four children and a great-grandchild.
Dawn’s love of animals involves volunteering at the local animal shelter. During the years as the children grew, her home hosted a sanctuary for hermit crabs, anoles, Chinese water dragons, a rose-haired tarantula, frogs, and mice. Though the tarantula did like sitting on her shoulder, she prefers the cuddly critters.
Her published accomplishments include two poems, one essay, and eight short stories, the latest anthology “Incarceration” which features her story, “The Black Hole.” Dawn’s works in progress include:
- From the Darkness – A novel based on a true story about bipolar depression.
- A horror anthology – short stories about creatures who use people as their hunting grounds
Last but not least, her favorite quote from Albert Einstein, “Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today, Hope for Tomorrow.”